Private Scholarships & 529 Plans

A private scholarship is money awarded to a student from a source outside of the university. These funds are usually not awarded by one of the 50 states or the federal government. Private scholarships generally consist of funds from a student's high school, a service organization, parent's place of employment, pre-paid college plan (529 plan), religious organization, MD National Guard Waiver, etc.

Provider checks should be made payable to:


Many providers prefer to have their checks payable to both the university and the student. In those cases, once the check is received by the Office of the Bursar the student is then notified to come to the Office of the Bursar, Cashiers Office, Rm. 1115 Lee Bldg., to endorse the check. The student must bring either his/her university student ID card or driver's license as proof of identification. The endorsement may be done during regular business hours, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Students will be notified by e-mail, telephone, U.S. mail or a combination of these methods if their check needs an endorsement.

If the provider prefers to mail the award to the student's home address, the check should then be forwarded to:

If the provider prefers to receive an invoice before remitting payment, the provider MUST supply us with the following information:

All checks received by the university MUST include the student's name and university identification number (UID). In addition, all checks or accompanying documentation received from the provider should indicate the semester or semesters to which the award is applied. If a specific semester is not identified, it will be assumed that the funds are for the academic year. The student will receive half of the funds in the Fall semester and the other half in the Spring semester. All funds received in the Spring semester will be processed for only the Spring semester unless otherwise indicated.

Scholarships are posted to a student's account based on full-time enrollment (12 credits or more for an undergraduate student). If a student is not registered as a full-time student or falls below full-time status, the funds will be charged back to their student account. In cases where a student is not full-time, a letter will be required from the provider notifying our office that they are aware of the student's part-time status and are still willing to allow the student to use the funds. It is the student's responsibility to initiate the request for this information from the provider. Funds will be returned to a provider if the appropriate documentation is not received by the Office of the Bursar.

Many providers request verification of enrollment prior to forwarding funds to the university. These requests should be sent to:

In addition, many providers request information as to 'other' financial aid a student may be receiving. These requests should be submitted to:

529 Plans:

Each College Savings Plan/529 Plan requires varying information from the account holder regarding funds disbursement. Contact your individual plan to determine what information is required.

If there are any questions about this information, please Contact Us.