Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Payment Methods

Paying by Cash, Check, or Charge

For your convenience, we offer the following payment options:

  • Mail to:
    • University of Maryland
    • Office of the Bursar
    • 1109 Lee Building
    • 7809 Regents Dr.
    • College Park, MD 20742-5151
  • in-person at:
    • Cashier's Office
    • 1115 Lee Building
    • 8:30 am to 4:30 pm - Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri
    • 9:30 am to 4:30 pm - Wed
  • Pay On-Line here.
  • Make International Payments here.

Personal checks are accepted in payment of your student account. All checks and money orders must be in U.S. dollars drawn on a U.S. bank to be accepted. They should be made payable to the University of Maryland, and should include the student's account number on the front of the check. In the event your personal check is returned to the University unpaid by your bank, your account will be assessed a service charge in accordance with the following schedule:

Check Amount Charge
up to $100.00 $10.00
$100.01 - $500.00 $25.00
over $500.00 $50.00

Pay by mail: Non-registered students and non-students will receive a paper bill. You may return the payment stub from the bill and either your check or money order in the envelope provided. We no longer accept credit card or debit card payments sent through the mail.

Pay in-person: Bring your bill and your payment to the Cashier's Office, Room 1115 Lee Building. You may wish to verify the amount owed by obtaining a copy of your student account at the Financial Service Center in Room 1135 before proceeding to the Cashiers. Because paying in person often involves waiting in line during peak periods, payment online is encouraged. We no longer accept credit card or debit card payments in person.

Pay On-Line

Pay On-Line Here:

Beginning August 21, 2014, a 2.0% processing fee will be assessed for all credit and debit card transactions. There is not a processing fee for ACH (electronic check) payments. Click here for FAQs.

Credit Card - You may make a payment using American Express, Visa, MasterCard or Discover card.
Checking Account - Use your routing number and account number to have your checking account debited.

Please be aware that online payments post to your account one business day after the settlement date.  The settlement date is determined by the financial institutions not the University of Maryland.  Online payments completed before 3:00pm Eastern will typically post to your account in two business days, but occasionally takes longer.

Terp Payment Plan (TPP)

  • Spread out the cost of education over the academic year or semester.
  • Use Direct Debit for automatic monthly payments from your bank account.
  • Fund the gap between financial aid and the the cost of education (interest free).
  • Easy enrollment

Go to the Terp Payment Plan for more details or to enroll now!

Financial Aid

The awarding of financial aid is handled by the Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA). All financial aid, in general, is credited directly to your student account. Most financial aid disbursements will appear on the billing statement that is created prior to the start of the semester, assuming you have accepted the aid and met all of the criteria necessary to be eligible for the aid. Financial aid is applied to your account, and any remainder after your tuition, room and board charges have been paid is ordered to be direct deposited to the checking/savings account of your choice or in the form of a check that is mailed to you.

Stafford loans are electronically transferred to the Bursar's Office by your lender, and are transferred to your Student Account. These credits are disbursed by your bank twice each year, one-half of the loan each semester. If there is money remaining after your account is paid, you can receive credit to your checking/savings account through Direct Deposit or be mailed a refund check.

Unlike other scholarships that are credited directly to your student account, National Merit Scholarship checks are sent directly to the Bursar's Office, and will be made available after all student account balances are paid.

The University does not defer payment of bills on the basis of pending financial aid applications or Stafford loans. In the event your financial aid application was received by OSFA in a timely manner and the delay in your receiving your financial aid is solely the fault of the University, the Student Financial Service Center Manager will consider making an exception on your behalf. Otherwise, it is in your best interest to insure that your application has been received and processed by the Financial Aid Office with enough time (allow at least 2 months prior to the due date) so that the funds are available to you at the beginning of the semester when bills are due.

Questions regarding the application, processing and awarding of financial aid should be directed to the Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA).

Graduate Student Tuition Waiver/Fee Payments

If you are a graduate student and have been hired to work on campus in a graduate assistantship, you are eligible to receive tuition benefits. Tuition waiver forms are available through the department in which you are employed. Be sure to check filing deadlines with your department for each semester. Tuition benefits cover the cost of the credit hours you are taking, up to ten credit hours for the fall and ten credit hours for the spring semester. A total of six credit hours may be covered across the first and second summer sessions if you are employed through the summer on a 12 month assistantship.

Tuition benefits do not include other fees that all graduate students are required to pay. These mandatory fees include an auxiliary facilities fee, a student activities fee, an athletic fee, a shuttle bus fee, a Stamp Union, Performing Arts/Cultural Center and recreational fee, etc. Please refer to the Tuition & Fees page for the fee structure for full-time and part-time graduate students as well as the payment due dates for each term. Some graduate programs have different fees (MBA), please refer to the specific department for details.

If there are any questions about this information, please Contact Us.