Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Tax Information

1098-T Form

For your protection, the form will only display the last four digits of your SSN, ITIN, or ATIN (for example: XXX-XX-1234). However, the complete identification number will be reported to the IRS.

Form W9-S

If you notice that your Form 1098-T does not display your correct SSN, ITIN, ATIN, or is blank, please complete Form W-9S and mail it to the Office of the Bursar, Lee Building, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742. If we are unable to verify your identification number, you will be notified by us to complete Form W-9S to verify that we are providing the correct information to the IRS. You also need to make this correction with the university through the Office of Records & Registrations.

View ALL transactions for Calendar Year 2017

To view your student account transaction details, log into Student Account Inquiry on Testudo. Please note, Testudo displays transactions from January 1 of the preceding calendar year to current. It is advised to view, download and/or print your transactions before that date.

Former students will have to go to the Applicants & Former Students page to log in. Then come back and click the next link to view the Student Account Inquiry.

Understanding Form 1098-T

Please read the Instructions for Student on IRS Form 1098-T and visit the Additional Resources area below to help you understand your form.

The IRS allows institutions to report either box 1 (amounts paid) or box 2 (amounts billed) during the calendar year. We report box 2 as our filing method. However, education credits may only be claimed for qualified tuition and related expenses that were actually paid in the calendar year. Therefore, the amount shown in in box 2 may represent an amount other than the amount actually paid.

Most often, spring semester charges are billed in December of one calendar year and then payments are made in January of the next calendar year. Check to see if box 7 is checked on your form. Reference either the Student Account Inquiry or your monthly billing statements for the timing of the charges and payments.

Tax Information for Fellows

The Graduate School has an excellent page regarding the disbursement and reporting of Fellowship awards: Tax Information for Fellows

Although domestic student stipends are awarded through Financial Aid and appear on the Student Account, if you are not enrolled in any courses during the calendar year, you will not receive a 1098-T. Please refer to your monthly billing statements when preparing your tax return or filing estimated tax payments.

Tax Relief Act Information Sheets

In accordance with requirements of the Tax Relief Act of 1997, the following documents are intended to provide you with information to assist you in determining your eligibility for possible American Opportunity Credit (formerly Hope Credit) or the Lifetime Learning Credit. If you would like to review your student account showing all charges and credits for the current calendar year, please go to: Student Account Inquiry.

Request a Paper Statement

If you are unable to obtain your 1098-T electronically, a paper statement can be provided to you. You must send an email to billtalk@umd.edu with the Subject line: "Request paper 1098-T". The body of the email must include your full name and UID (Do not email your SSN). A paper statement will be mailed to the address on record. If you have moved, be sure to update your address with the university BEFORE you request a paper statement. Your request for a paper copy is for the current statement only.

To Request a Paper StatementSend Email:
Subject Line:Request paper 1098-T
Message Body:Full Name & UID

Form Availability

Current 1098-T tax forms will be available through October 15 (or the next business day if it falls on a weekend) per IRS regulations. Although not required nor guaranteed, the current form and past year's forms may be available for a longer period (space permitting).

Additional Resources

The following are from the IRS.gov web site.

If there are any questions about this information, please Contact Us.